I have a passion for all things green. As a young scientist out of college, I took on the additional role of leading the Green Committee at my first company. We focused on areas such as recycling, paper mail reduction, and working to set up the facility to be LEED certified.
My desire to use less and reuse more is deeply rooted. My college roommates can go into great detail about some of the strange things that I would do:
- Dishwasher use refusal - because we never had enough dishes to fill it up! I am sure they doubted my hand-washing ability.....which is very fair.
- I was constantly wringing out paper towels for another few uses.
- To this day, I only use one swiffer sweeper cloth every six months because I never throw it away. I simply vacuum it off and reuse it again and again.
Once my son was born, I felt that I was consuming resources faster than ever. Diapers, wipes, and water for laundry. I was accepting of these non-green missteps because being a new parent is so difficult. Now that I feel I have a better handle on being a new mom, I am ready to make the switch to cloth diapering part-time in conjunction with using better-for-the earth disposable diapers for situations such as road travel and daycare.
In addition to making things more green in our life when it comes to our son, I myself have become acquainted with many fun products that radiate Eco-friendly living.
The following are my top 9 FAVORITE green products in my life right now. You're going to want to get your hands on these must-haves ASAP!
1) Starch Slides: Starch Slides is a fabulous shoe brand that I have gotten to know that takes unwanted shirts and upcycles them into wearable slides. This type of business model works to reduce textile waste that we are accumulating rapidly on our planet. Each shirt can make one pair of small slides, two mediums, and one large. This means that your Starch Slides are extremely unique, because once this exact pattern is gone, it's GONE! The sole is made from Eco-friendly materials, and they come shipped in a raw jute (natural plant fiber) backpack.
2) Juice Beauty: I have been searching and searching for an anti-aging skin care routine. I came across Juicy Beauty and fell in love with their products. Juicy Beauty sources the majority of their ingredients from local West Coast USDA Certified Organic farms, which allows them to monitor quality and limit fuel waste. They then manufacture their products using solar power. Many beauty products start with a base of water and/or petroleum glycols - but not Juice Beauty. You can rest assured you are receiving a high quality organic product that has base ingredients such as aloe, jojoba, grape seed, shea, and citrus juices.
My favorite products in the Juice Beauty line are the Stem Cellular 2-1 Cleanser, the Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer, the Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Eye Treatment, and the Green Apple Peel. These luxury skincare products would be a real treat for that special Mama in your life.
3) Eco Flower: If Eco Flower was around when I got married, I would have ordered their bouquets for my Bridesmaids. These are Forever Flowers, and they are gorgeous! Eco Flower offers an entire line of products for the home and special events, and all of the flowers are made from recycled and sustainable materials such as sola wood, birch wood, denim, pine cones, burlap, old novels, used music sheets, and jewelry. The bouquets are scented as well! If you love having beautiful flowers in your house, but don't like dealing with changing water and flower carcasses, then you need to go on and get Eco Flower.
4) Swaddle Designs: Swaddle Designs makes the softest, most snuggle-able blankets around! The certified organic blankets are manufactured in the USA (Seattle), and are made using many domestic fabrics, sustainable fibers, recycled fibers, and recyclable packaging. Their new flannel prints are adorbs!
5) SideRoot: These sunglasses are handmade from sustainable materials. They are lightweight and I love the way they look and feel.
Acetates: Made form cotton acetate as opposed to oil based plastics. This type of "natural" plastic is biodegradable since it is made from cotton cellulose and wood pulp - how cool is that?!
Lenses: Triacetate CELLULOSE polarized lenses, which absorb 99% of UV rays
Wooden Eyewear Care: A Kraft paper folding case and organic beeswax to protect the wood from the elements are included with each pair. Every single aspect of SideRoot sunglasses has been well thought out - all while remaining committed to their sustainability initiative. The packaging, raw materials, and brand radiates GREEN!
6) Lur Apparel: This company manufactures their line of women's clothing using 100% recycled materials. Lur Apparel is the epitome of sustainable fashion, believing in honesty, transparency, and sustainability when it comes to the production of their product line. The fabric is a blend of 50% recycled textile scraps, and then 50% polyester, which is derived from post-consumer plastic bottles. There are not any added dyes or chemicals used in the processing of their fabrics.
Lur Apparel pays their employees fair wages, and for every piece of clothing purchased, 25 hours of vocational training is provided to the women of Santa Cruz la Luguna (the impoverished region where Lur Apparel is produced). Cheers to that!
Meow Meow Tweet
7) Meow Meow Tweet: When I received my Meow Meow Tweet order, my mailbox smelled so good - I couldn't wait to try the actual products! Meow Meow Tweet offers a full range of vegan organic body care, skin care, and baby care. They have a full spectrum of products including body oil, herbal insect repellent, scrubs, deodorant, bar soap, baby balm, and body cream, to name a few.
This small batch company is committed to using the least amount of plastic as possible. All of their products are either packaged in glass jars or hand-wrapped in PCW paper. I just love the whimsical artwork on all of the packaging - meow!
8) Faucet Face: Plastic water bottles and plastic bags. If I could have three environmental wishes, the first one would be to make these environmental bombs, which are available for pure convenience, disappear. I am not sure which Faucet Face design is my favorite! One thing is for sure, these gorgeous bottles sure do get a lot of attention. Wear it loud and proud that you are a "hose water" drinker. We are fortunate to have effective water purification systems in our country that allow us to avoid drinking from disposable containers. Make an impact today, and commit to sticking with glass water bottles as you live your life.
9) Tressmerize : Yes, my hair is Eco-friendly. How so, you wonder? Well, since I started to wear Tressmerize at the beginning of the year, I have gone from washing my hair every day to every third day. If 2.5 gallons of water comes out per minute during a shower, and washing my hair takes two minutes, that means that I was using 5 gallons of water to wash my hair per day (wow!). In one years time, before wearing Tressmerize , I was using 1,825 gallons of water to wash my hair. Now, I use 1/3 of the water, or 608 gallons per year.
I also save on the electricity for blow drying my hair, and I use less hair product (meaning I purchase less product and throw away fewer product containers). This is because I wash the Tressmerize pieces once every 3-4 weeks. Quite the ripple effect! Go green, go Tressmerize !
10) Lull Bed! Have you guys been talking about a bed upgrade? The Lull Bed has saved our sleep. The 3 layer advanced sleep technology, free shipping, and 100 night free trial are just a few of the perks that go along with a Lull Bed. And, it's affordable!
This revolutionary mattress is easy on the environment - it's Made In The USA! The foam used to produce Lull mattresses meet rigorous standards for minimizing off-gassing. Lull Beds are made without chemicals such as formaldehyde, ozone depleters, flame retardants (the materials used by Lull are naturally fire-resistant), and heavy metals. They meet standards of less than 0.5 parts per million VOC. Every Lull Bed comes with a 10 year warranty. But most importantly, I've been sleeping better than ever since upgrading our bed. I love our Lull, and I love that they placed an emphasis on creating an easy-on-the-environment mattress.